Dairy free black rice pudding and mango parfait.
Pudding made of black rice or forbidden rice, coconut milk and organic jaggery powder.
If you want you can also make it with sugar or brown sugar.
Serve the pudding chilled or make it parfait with mango or any other fruit.
Black rice is quite popular in Asia. The black rice has a texture similar to brown rice, but with a more prominent nutty flavor.
Black rice is more nutritious than brown rice. Its an excellent source of fiber, amino acid, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants.
In China and some South-East Asian country it is known as “Forbidden Rice” because it was reserved exclusively for the Royals in ancient China.
Despite being less popular than brown rice or wild rice, black rice, known as forbidden rice, is an ancient grain that has even more impressive health benefits than most other closely related rice varieties.
Not only is it the type of rice that is richest in powerful disease-fighting antioxidants, but it also contains dietary fiber, anti-inflammatory properties, and has the ability to help stop the development of diabetes, cancer, heart disease and even weight gain.
Black rice has been eaten in regions of Asia for thousands of years; in fact for centuries it was reserved for only Chinese royalty. Today this type of rice is picking up in popularity and popping up in more health food stores across the US, Australia, and Europe, as people discover the numerous health benefits that whole grain black rice has to offer.
You can get some more black rice recipes here. Click on the name below to get the recipe.
Its Monday again and this week’s 156 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is ‘Any but white rice’. When Mayuri suggested the theme I decided to make something with black rice. I love the nutty taste of this rice.
Its a very simple, easy and quick yet delicious recipe. If you have boiled black rice, you can make it in a jiffy. I have made it with coconut milk and used organic jaggery powder to sweetened it. But you can use same amount of sugar or brown sugar if you like. You can use vanilla or any flavour of your choice.
Black rice – 1/2 cup
Water – 2 cup
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
Cashew nuts – 2 tablespoon
Raisin – 2 tablespoon
Oil to fry the nuts
Mango – 1, chopped in small cubes
1. Wash the rice well.
2. Black rice takes longer time to cook so soak the rice 6 – 8 hours or overnight. Then microwave for 20 minutes on high power or pressure cook with water for one whistle, after that cook on low flame for 20 minutes.
3. Heat ghee/clarified butter or oil in a pan.
Add raisins. When the raisins puffed up, immediately remove from ghee or oil.
4. In the same oil fry the cashew nuts till light golden brown. Keep aside.
5. Now mix coconut milk and jaggery powder or sugar. I have used organic jaggery powder.
6. Cook on low flame till it becomes thick and creamy. Stir occasionally.
7. Taste the sweetness. If require add 1-2 tablespoon jaggery powder or sugar.
8. Add cardamom powder, fried raisins and cashew nuts. Reserve some for garnishing. Mix well.
9. Keep the pudding in refrigerator to serve chilled.
10. In a glass add some mango cubes, layer with black rice pudding over it.
11. Repeat the layers till end. Top with mango cubes and fried cashew and raisins. You can sprinkle little desiccated coconut over it.
1. You can use sugar or brown sugar instead of jaggery powder.
2. You can use any fruit of your choice instead of mango.
3. You can add roasted almond, pistachio or any dry fruit.
4. You can use vanilla or any flavour of your choice instead of cardamom.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hash tag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update