Tender drumstick potato dry curry with Bengali five spices or sojne data chochchori.
A very simple yet delicious Bengali recipe using panch phoran or Bengali five spices which is consists of fenugreek seeds or methi, Nigella seed or kalaunji, cumin seed or jeera, mustard seed or sarso and fennel seed or sounf.
You don’t need much spices to make it. You need only turmeric powder, mustard powder and red chilli powder to make this delicious dry curry with tender drumstick and potatoes.
The drumstick or moringa plant is one of those rare species, where every part is beneficial for health and wellness. While the world celebrates moringa leaves and moringa powder as superfoods, the stalks are equally powerful, and have been used since time immemorial in Indian kitchens to add a dash of health to your diet.
Drumsticks are rich in two vital nutrients that are essential to bone health, keeping osteoporosis and osteoarthritis at bay. Calcium and iron are both minerals that are known to enhance the quality of your bones, so consuming an adequate amount of drumsticks can really help with that.
I have used mustard powder in it. You can use mustard paste if you want. You can skip potatoes if you don’t like potatoes. Make it with only drumsticks and enjoy the delicious flavourful drumstick dry curry. Or you can add eggplant and pumpkin with potatoes in this drumstick curry.
Tender drumstick – 200 gram
Potatoes – 3 – 4
Tomato – 1 large, chopped
Panch phoran or Bengali five spices – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Mustard powder – 1 tablespoon
Mustard oil – 2 tablespoon
Water – 1 & 1/2 cup + 4 tablespoon
1. Peel and cut the potatoes into lengthwise.
2. Wash the tender drumsticks well. Cut and discard the both ends. Chop the drumsticks into 1 inch pieces.
3. Mix 1 tablespoon mustard powder with 4 tablespoon water. Stir and keep aside.
4. Heat mustard oil in a pan or wok. Add panch phoran.
Panch phoran consists of fenugreek seeds or methi, Nigella seed or kalaunji, cumin seed or jeera, mustard seed or sarso and fennel seed or sounf.
5. Let the seeds splutter. Now add potatoes.
6. Fry the potatoes for 2 minutes or till the potatoes starts to charge it’s colour.
7. Add chopped drumsticks. Saute for 2 minutes more.
8. Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder mix well.
9. Add soaked mustard powder and water and cover the pan. Cook till the potatoes and drumsticks becomes soft and dried up.
10. Remove from heat.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with steamed rice or Indian flat bread.
You can also add eggplant and pumpkin with potatoes.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hash tag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update